Balloon Release, Outer Drive Bridge Dedication, Chicago

Title

Balloon Release, Outer Drive Bridge Dedication, Chicago

Subject

Architecture
Speeches, addresses, etc.
Bridges
Balloons

Description

A crowd looks on as balloons rise during the opening of Chicago's Outer Drive Bridge. Although construction began in 1929, the opening of the Outer Drive Bridge in Chicago did not occur until 1937, when President Franklin Roosevelt visited the city to dedicate the bridge. The Public Works Administration, one of Roosevelt's many New Deal initiatives, helped fund construction of the bridge, which was designed to ease traffic congestion on Michigan Avenue. Also known as the Link Bridge and the Lake Shore Drive Bridge, the Outer Drive Bridge was renamed the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial Bridge in 1982, in honor of President Roosevelt and his role in the creation of the bridge.

Publisher

Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum

Date

1937-10-05

Rights

The Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum holds all rights and permissions.

Format

jpg

Language

en

Identifier

400441
Henry Horner Collection

Original Format

commercial print
b&w
1

Physical Dimensions

21 x 26 cm

Citation

“Balloon Release, Outer Drive Bridge Dedication, Chicago,” Chronicling Illinois, accessed December 5, 2021, https://alplm-cdi.com/chroniclingillinois/items/show/18672.